Saturday, April 06, 2024

Star Viewing in Florida

Last Saturday evening, I took my 14-year-old, Alastair, star-watching on the shore of Lake Okeechobee. Looking west, we had a large expanse of farming area to our backs, and the nearest sources of light pollution, West, North West, and South West, are roughly 20 miles away.

The view was amazing. After living in Broward, where there is no night sky, seeing the sky in Port St Lucie (PSL) was amazing. I use reference stars to gauge the level of light pollution. Polaris is almost 2nd magnitude, and I can see that one in town from my driveway. (Yeah, no street lights!!!) The other two stars at the other end of the "little dipper" are Beta and Gamma Ursae Minoris (UMi), 2nd and 3rd magnitudes. On a good night in PSL, you can see Beta UMi with averted vision and some knowledge of what you are looking for.

On the lake's shore, we could see so many stars that it took a few moments to identify familiar asterisms. Alastair was blown away. He wanted to bring my friend out to the lake as well. It makes me happy that Al wants to include my lady friend in many of our activities.

Gamma UMi (3rd magnitude) was easily spotted, as were many others. However, I am chagrined to say that I did not have any 4th, 5th, or 6th magnitude reference stars memorized. I am correcting that now.  

 

posted by Y.H.N.

No comments:

Post a Comment